The Archives Association of Ontario (AAO) and the Association of Manitoba Archives (AMA) are pleased to announce a joint conference to be held 11-13 May 2016
in Thunder Bay, Ontario
. The AAO conference held in Thunder Bay in 2011 was the biggest ever gathering of archivists in Thunder Bay’s history. Archivists from Manitoba helped establish that record. The partnering of the two associations will make the 2016 super-conference even more successful.
The Call for Papers for the joint 2016 AAO/AMA Conference has been extended to October 30th.
Archives Confidential: Breaking Down the Barriers
The Conference Program Committee invites proposals pertaining to all areas of archival theory and practice that address issues seen as taboo within our community. Examples of these issues may include topics that are often overlooked, are not addressed in an inclusive manner or that create discomfort or discord in the relationships between practitioners, record creators, donors, users of archives, and the general public. Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Truth and Reconciliation.
- Professional failures and how we learn from them.
- How do we care for and represent records of trauma?
- What are we not effectively addressing as a profession?
- Representation of people/groups in archives and archival exhibits.
- How do we build or repair relationships with groups in the communities that we serve and foster trust in our institutions?
- What happens when we morally disagree with the appraisal and description of material held within our collections?
- How do we effectively acknowledge language, social custom, race, or gender barriers within both our collections and professional community?
Submissions of proposals for entire sessions or for individual papers are invited. The proposals should be sent with a brief abstract of 250 words and a bio to the AAO Office at email@example.com
The deadline to submit proposals is October 30, 2015.
We are happy to announce that the 2016 AAO/AMA Joint Conference will include a Student Papers and Posters session. A call for submissions will be issued later this year.
Posted on behalf of the AAO/AMA 2016 Conference Program Committee.